Wednesday, November 13, 2013

One of the things wrong with Wikipedia

I've been editing Wikipedia for some time using the account TMLutas. I recently participated in an AfD (Article for Deletion) discussion about a particular California school district, Loma Prieta Joint Union Elementary School District. This time wasn't too bad, with everybody quickly noting that governments are notable and that for a variety of reasons even a fairly non-descript school district should have a page. It hasn't always been that way and the attempts to delete these pages keep coming.

As part of Citizen Intelligence, I'm looking to improve wikipedia by creating an automated export of the school government data I collect and including it in the encyclopedia. I'm holding off on actually doing it because, frankly the explosion of AfD debates would swamp me. I'm not that altruistic. I think I'm not the only one holding back a bit by low quality attempts to delete articles. Its a shame. Wikipedia is ripe for an upgrade but its officious user base is holding it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment