Friday, June 6, 2014

The weakness of Piketty's critics

I have not had the opportunity to read all of Piketty's critics so it is quite possible that I am unjust but the ones that have gotten the most play are weak critiques to my view and are doomed to failure because they grant Piketty too much credit. The FT critique, which I find interesting, is useless without challenging Piketty much earlier in the book, which they fail to do. The numbers work is great, as is to some extent Piketty's. The fatal problem with Piketty was alway going to be elsewhere.

I'm going to be doing a bit of fisking on Piketty's book. I think I can manage it if I write while I read. Absent that, somebody would have to pay me for the necessary time and then I would put out a much better product. Since the likelihood of manna from heaven is slight, I'm just going to have to risk critiquing as I go along and retracting/correcting if later chapters fill the gaps and errors I spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment